The proper search engine optimization or SEO can make or break your website ranking on google search. It can put your website, everyone, on the top-up mind, or it can put top 10 google search results.
Hey guys, you hear right about SEO. Now let me introduce this tutorial to you.
- Why SEO?
- What is SEO?
- How does Google rank a website?
- Types of SEO.
- Do’s and Dont’s of SEO.
Consider an example where you have a blog of ice cream recipes, but her website isn’t ranking high on organic search results. You want people to read your blog, and you wonder why my website isn’t rank at the top yet?
Well, there are several reasons behind it.
- Your competitors have better content than you.
- Improper usage of keywords.
- Poor link building practices. You don’t link your blog post to other high-rank posts.
- Your webpage load time is slow.
- Your website does not have a good user experience.
- Your website de-indexed by mistake.
What is SEO?
SEO (search engine optimization) is the practice of increasing your blog post up the ranking. So we wanna our all blog posts on top-up google search results. Certainly, we need to apply SEO to increase the organic traffic on SERP (Search Engine Result Page).
Consider an example where 100’s of student participated in an essay competition:
the competition will be evaluated based on:
- relevant content
- suitable titles
- logical structure
- suitable synopsis
- neat and readable content
That’s how exactly Search Engine Optimization Works.
In SEO, a few of the important ranking factors are:
- relevant content(engaging and relevant content)
- suitable content ( suitable title tags, URL)
- logical structure (Header tags)
- suitable synopsis ( Meta description)
- Neat and readable (Responsive design & site speed)
How does Google rank a website?
Well, search engines like google follow three basic steps to rank a website.
Crawling is a process done by search engines or bots where they scan a website, copy the entire website’s content, and store it in the search engine’s index.
Note: Based on this method, Google finds out which websites have relevant content related to certain keywords.
In simple terms, indexing is the method of adding web pages into google search results. It is also called the databases of Google.
When a user types a query on Google search engine, the most relevant websites (from the index ) will appear on the search result based on multiple factors like user’s location, language, user experience, etc.
There is a lot of factors include in ranking:
- User experience
- page load time
- Average session duration
- Bounce rate
- Based on cookies
For example, searching for “dunking donuts” would show different answers to a US user than it would to a user in India.
Types of SEO
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
On-page SEO is the process of optimizing-elements on your website itself.
The figure shows that this element we can control on our own websites. Before we do anything, we need to need to think about what keyword want to write.
- keyword research is one of the most important activities in SEO.
- It is a practice where you choose the primary and secondary keywords around which meta tags and the content will be based.
- the primary components to keyword research are below:
- search volumes
- My favourite keyword research tool like Google keyword planner.
For example, you want to create digital marketing content. Then based on search volume and competition, your primary keyword becomes what digital marketing is?
If your content starts ranking high for this keyword, it will get more traffic to your webpages.
- The title tag is the most important factor of the on-page.
- It is a header title element displayed on SERP( Search Engine Results Page).
- Search engines like Google display the first 50–60 characters of the title tag.
- This tag summarizes the website’s content.
- Title tag influences click-through rates.
Let me give you an example of how the title tag for our webpage appears in the search engine result.
- The meta description is a brief description (of up to 155 characters) that summarizes a web page's content.
- They are displayed on the search engine page results.
- While the title tags have less description, a meta description gives users more understanding of what your webpage is offering.
- Meta description also influences click-through rates.
- URL: uniform resource locator.
- Use SEO-friendly URLs, as they help to understand what the webpages are about.
- Poor URL structure is a big issue in SEO, which may result in a low ranking.
- Header tags are the HTML tags that are used to identify headings and subheadings of your content.
- The hierarchy of header tags goes from H1 to H6.
- H1 is the main heading of a page, the H2 tag is a subheading of H1, and H3 is a subheading of H2, and so on.
- An internal link is a hyperlink that goes from your website to a different page on your own website.
- These links allow users to navigate the website.
- Also, these links are useful to spread link equity (value passed from one website to another website)
- For example: in the below image, we can see how internal linking of webpages is done in our articles.
- When a search engine crawls a website, it uses NLP (natural language processing)
- Using NLP, the search engine looks for content and keyword.
- For example, when your website is about digital marketing and only the keyword digital marketing used in it, you might not rank for the keyword digital marketing in search engine results. It’s important to add some related words like how to do digital marketing types of digital marketing, skills required for digital marketing, etc.
- Off-page optimization is the process of linking or promoting your website using link building.
- This helps in improving web site's recognition, credibility, trustworthiness, and authority.
- Benefits of off-page are like increase in traffic, high domain authority, increase in page rank, increase in brand awareness.
- Link building is the online navigation of hyperlinks from other websites to your own website.
- In this way, we can drive referral traffic and increase the website’s authority.
- Strategies of link building:
- high-quality content creation
- off-site engagement
Do’s of SEO
- Get backlinks from relevant sites.
- Use keywords in your titles and tags to rank high in search engines.
- Write engaging and latest content.
- Do keyword research.
- Build internal links to your website.
- Wait for a while. It takes time to rank your content.
Don’t of SEO
- Avoid backlinks from irrelevant sites.
- Do not duplicate titles on multiple web pages.
- Do not copy other website’s content.
- Avoid keyword stuffing
- Do not build sitewide backlinks.
- Avoid building backlinks only to your website’s homepage.